Sunday, June 15, 2008

Butter and popcorn

Yes, butter and popcorn. First, the butter:

This is at the Beau Rivage Palace, the swankiest hotel in town. It is so swank that there are actual treaties that divided up Africa signed at this hotel. I'm not kidding. My parents (Bob and Brenda, fyi) visited me on the weekend before exams (May 31-ish) and took me out to fancy restaurants so we could discuss my lack of an achievable career plan in finer surroundings. Anyways, back to the butter.... This is what they do to your butter at the Beau Rivage; note how much Bob doesn't care. Brenda, however, was highly amused by the butter, as was I. The food was quite tasty (I had the rabbit) but it was no match for L'Ermitage des Ravet. L'Ermitage was actually ranked the best restaurant in Switzerland recently, and it has amassed three Michelin stars for those of you who care about the restaurant rankings of a tire company. In terms of butter, their presentation was somewhat haphazard (it was in a small pot) but the butter came in different flavours depending on the course and the bread you chose. This was quite a meal. Really, to call it a meal would be to denigrate the hosts... this was an Experience! It took us almost five hours to complete the meal marathon, and I was afraid my palate would be ruined forever, but I'm ok now. Phew.

In other news, I'm done with pretty much all the "academic" stuff here. The second round of exams came and went; they were miserable to study for and terrifying to write, but somehow my grades actually didn't suffer that much, almost in spite of myself I think. The most amazing result was in Finance, where I actually thought I'd failed the exam, only to discover that somehow my overall mark went up! I'm waiting for the exam to be returned so I can see just how this manna from heaven event transpired. Apparently there are no bell curves at IMD.... we'll see about that.

The plan for the next month is rather absurd: We're off to Kenya here on the 20th of June for a ten-day school trip. Highlights of the trip include cocktails with the Prime Minister, Raila Odinga, and a trip to a baby elephant sanctuary! They certainly seem to be doing it up right. A large number of my classmates were also particularly pleased to see three blocks in the schedule reserved for watching the semis and finals of the Euro Cup (soccer/football, depending on which continent you're on). Priorities, priorities. On the 30th, the school trip ends and Laura arrives in Nairobi. LB and I, along with about 10 other IMD people, are going on a 6-day safari in Masai Mara and another (forget the name) park in Kenya, and then we're going to Zanzibar in Tanzania. We'll stay in the town of Zanzibar for 2 nights, and then on the beach at Sazani beach for four days! The flight home to Toronto will take the better part of 2 days, and will involve five airplanes (2 shared, 1 for laura, and 2 more for myself), but this whole thing should be a hell of a trip!

So, enough about butter. Here is popcorn for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.maniacworld.com/making-popcorn-with-cell-phones.html

--
Update: more on the popcorn, but don't read this till you've watched the above:
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/06/12/cellphone-popcorn-ho.html

2 comments:

Brenda / Mom said...

I took a picture of the butter from my angle which I thought was much better.

Anonymous said...

Wow - sounds like a fantastic trip! Baby elephants, cocktails with the prime minster, and football - so very scholarly Ian! I wonder what the butter in Kenya will look like :P Have a great time on the epic trip!